Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Preamp/Integrated in balance with 8020A

mikuni, modified 11 Years ago.

Preamp/Integrated in balance with 8020A

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/2/11 Recent Posts
Tried to look at the forum, but could not find a match for this issue.

I use a pair of 8020A as genral/tv speakers upstairs in the livingroom. Have a separate damped listening room downstears...
What would be a suitable price level for a pre amp or integrated amp with pre out. It might be an over kill to invest a few thousands on a pre amp, when the sources are digibox/ipod/cdrw recorder for dvd music.

I of corse have an old Pioneer SA 9900 from the 70:s but that is rather big and has no remote.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Preamp/Integrated in balance with 8020A

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

The selection of stereo pre-amplifiers or integrated amps with pre outs is quite limited. Especially in that price range. Instead I would perhaps look at multichannel AV receivers. There are many models available from numerous manufacturers (Yamaha, Onkyo, Maranz, Pioneer, Harman/Kardon, Sony etc.). Most affordable models don't have pre outs, so be careful with the selection.
mikuni, modified 11 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/2/11 Recent Posts
Thank you for the answer.

A 10 year old Pioneer 5.1 Receiver can do the job, while i search for something smaller. Wife do not like those "big black boxes" Maybe one can find something in the new products for music streaming/internet radio. Like Denon RCD-N7 -> Naim UnitiQute.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 11 Years ago.

Have looked at Pro-Ject already? They have a quite small and nice pre amp with remote.

http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod=pr ... er&lang=en
walford, modified 9 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 1/5/13 Recent Posts
Hi Illkka,

Can you let me know if the Denon RCD-N7 is compatible with a couple of Genelec G Four?

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/RCDN7E3_ENG_IM_008.pdf
page 39

Not sure if I understood correctly the Denon connectivity :oops:

If this is not the case, can you list me the similar mini Hifi (CD, radio, internet radio, DLNA, ...) compatible with active loudspeakers?

Thanks

A
ilkka-rissanen, modified 9 Years ago.

Hi,

Unfortunately the Denon RCD-N7 isn't compatible with active loudspeakers because it has only a subwoofer pre-amp out. It would need to have pre-amp outputs also for the left and right main channels.

There is a way to connect active loudspeakers to an amplifier without pre-amp outputs though: http://www.genelec.com/faq/electrical/7 ... amplifier/

If you are not familiar with electronics and such, I would suggest that you ask a suitable person to build you these kind of cables.

I do not know any mini hifi equipment that have pre-amp outputs. You would need to look at more expensive AV receivers instead, such as: http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr717-80257.html
jchan, modified 7 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 4/14/15 Recent Posts
I have my old 1030A and a pair of 8010 and plan to get the 8040. I also have my hi-fi setup with Arcam IRDAC and FMJ A19. Would the pre-out from the FMJ work well with my old 1030 as living room speakers?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 7 Years ago.

I have my old 1030A and a pair of 8010 and plan to get the 8040. I also have my hi-fi setup with Arcam IRDAC and FMJ A19. Would the pre-out from the FMJ work well with my old 1030 as living room speakers?

Yes it would work perfectly. :)

Great thanks!
I'm going out to listen to some different monitors now.

M040
KH120

Any thoughts on the above compared to my 1030A? Or other alternatives? I might keep 1030A for mixing and get M040 for the living room listening setup.

There's a lot of subjective information on the net about this so I might have to buy one of the above to try side by side for a couple of hours.

I really liked the 8030 for listening to music and the few mixes i did on those sound pretty much as I remember them when i play them on my 1030A which is a good thing. I can understand and to some degree agree 8000 series sound TOO GOOD, but actually a bad mix doesn't sound good at all on 8000 so.. I'm curious about my listening! :)

Okay, i think i stayed for more than one hour listening to:

Genelec M040
Genelec 8010
Genelec 8030
Genelec 8040
Genelec 8351 SAM
Neumann KH120
Focal Solo6
Dynaudio BM5 MK3

What is unfair with such a listening is the speakers position in the listening room. Huge different in bass response depending on where the speakers are place and you cannot rearrange the whole room really without good permission :)
Well, except that 8351 is way out of my budget it was very cool and sounded full, clear, balanced and detailed. very good separation and exact stereo imaging.

For some reason I tend to hope the speakers with grille also will sound the best because it's basically too expensive equipment to have your children play with the drivers.

M040 would work as hi-fi speakers for me. Nice sound but not with the surgical precision to really look into the sound in the same detail as with some of the more expensive speakers.

Monitors for me will stick around for a long time, if you like them, and I rather go all-in than bet and then fold :)

So KH120 and Genelec 8040 with grille was my main competitors. But less than ideal placement made the comparison hard but this is what i feel right now after listening to song from those records, Nirvana - Nevermind, Rage against the machine and Jeff Buckley - Grace and Pj Harvey - To bring you my love.

KH120 - Amazing bass for that smaller size but a little overactive in the lows making it hard for the drivers to remain detailed in the mid. Really good stereo imaging and very good detail in the high mid and highs. I suspect possible ear fatigé though. Narrow off-axis performance. Requires a sweet spot position to see the sounds when listening.

8040 - Overall flatter, stiff focused and good separation and revealing mid details. Very good off-axis performance. Those sounded pretty much the same when moving around.

I might add something more later. Just my initial thoughts.