Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8020 vs 8030 at low volume

oktane, modified 10 Years ago.

8020 vs 8030 at low volume

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 4/9/11 Recent Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace my 6010A/5040A setup with a pair of 8020B/8030A and 7050B sub.

I'm sure the 20 would suffice but the 30 is tempting because it will be more future-proof and about the largest I can tolerate in my current application. If I get the 30, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't upgrade in a looong time. Famous last words...

I do most of my listening at low to moderate volumes and here I'm wondering how the 30 model performs at these volumes compared to 20. Does it need to be cranked up before the sound is clear and not congested?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: 8020 vs 8030 at low volume

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

No, usually it's the other way around. A bigger speaker, or should I say a speaker with more bass, will sound better when listened at low levels. This happens because our ears are less sensitive to low frequencies at low listening levels. A speaker with less extended bass will usually sound thinner in comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contours

Thanks Ilkka.

I think it's settled then (8030A with 7050B it is), I already contacted some dealers for price quotes.

Even a pair of 8040 crossed my mind but those are borderline huge and if I don't find the bass extension good enough, I don't want to cough up the price of a 7060A, it's a bit too much to my liking.

I believe jumping from 6010 to 8030 will provide a nice quality improvement. And damn the PM color looks nice in real life.

There's one thing I would like to have confirmed. When 7050B is turned off, it essentially acts like a straight wire, right? So the signal just passes through to main speakers. My 5040A does not do that, but I heard the 7050B does.

There's one thing I would like to have confirmed. When 7050B is turned off, it essentially acts like a straight wire, right? So the signal just passes through to main speakers. My 5040A does not do that, but I heard the 7050B does.

Yes, that is correct. Though you should notice that it does not work as a proper bypass switch/jack found on the 7060B and larger models, meaning it doesn't bypass the bass management since it's done in the speakers instead of the subwoofer (85 Hz highpass filtering, 2nd DIP switch). So if you switch off the subwoofer, you will loose the frequencies below 85 Hz unless you switch off the 2nd DIP on the speakers.

Yes, that is correct. Though you should notice that it does not work as a proper bypass switch/jack found on the 7060B and larger models, meaning it doesn't bypass the bass management since it's done in the speakers instead of the subwoofer (85 Hz highpass filtering, 2nd DIP switch). So if you switch off the subwoofer, you will loose the frequencies below 85 Hz unless you switch off the 2nd DIP on the speakers.

Yes, I understand that.

I just came back from St. Paul's Sound with a brand spanking new 8030A and 7050B setup. I just put it together and I'm very pleased. It sounds so much better than 6010/5040 at same sound levels and much to my surprise, it actually behaves better in my acoustically challenged environment.

I did the right thing and chose the 30 over 20, this size is simply perfect. I believe I will be enjoying this setup for a long time to come.

Thanks for your guidance and thumbs up for Genelec, I regret no penny. :D

Yes, I understand that.

I just came back from St. Paul's Sound with a brand spanking new 8030A and 7050B setup. I just put it together and I'm very pleased. It sounds so much better than 6010/5040 at same sound levels and much to my surprise, it actually behaves better in my acoustically challenged environment.

I did the right thing and chose the 30 over 20, this size is simply perfect. I believe I will be enjoying this setup for a long time to come.

Thanks for your guidance and thumbs up for Genelec, I regret no penny. :D

Hi!

Thank you! This kind of feedback is music to my ears! :D