Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Sub to TV cabling?

cupidstunt-uk, modified 10 Years ago.

Sub to TV cabling?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/25/11 Recent Posts
Hello,

I own a pair of 8020a monitors and 5040a subwoofer. I wish to connect the subwoofer directly to this TV:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-a ... cification

My laptop is connected to the 5040a via 3.5mm male minijack to minijack. However, I currently have to unplug the minijack from the laptop and into the TV when:

- watching videos from the laptop on TV (connected via HDMI)
- playing PS3

When swapping minijack sockets, the gain on the 8020a's require tweaking.

Without the purchase of other electronics, I was wondering if anyone could please advise me on whether there is a way of cabling the subwoofer to the TV, yet avoid tweaking the monitors after each minijack swap.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Sub to TV cabling?

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hey,

The speakers and the subwoofer work as a unit, so it shouldn't matter from which device you input the signal. Are the speakers connected from the left and right main outputs on the subwoofer?
cupidstunt-uk, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Sub to TV cabling?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/25/11 Recent Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The monitors are indeed connected from the left and right outputs on the subwoofer.

As a solution, I have turned up the volume on the TV to match the volume output from the laptop. Fortunately, the TV volume setting can be preset for whenever the TV minijack socket is occupied.