Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec at home

perisak, modified 11 Years ago.

Genelec at home

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 8/13/11 Recent Posts
Hi.
I'm planning to sell my old high-end hifi equipment and replace it with Genelec.
I think I'll go for a stereo solution. I think I can get "home approwal" to wallmount a white pair of 8030.
What subwoofer should I use? 7050B or the 5050A (home theater sub ) and what is the different between those in practic. The livingroom is 45 squere meter, and 3m high. Or do you recomend to use a bigger sub?
Will play music, TV, and movies. Thanks for answers.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Genelec at home

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

1) 7050B and 5050A have quite similar performance. The 7050B is bass reflex design with actual reflex port while the 5050A uses passive radiators for the same purpose. 7050B has XLR connectors while the 5050A has RCA. Obviously they look a little bit different, too.

2) 45 square meters with 3 meter ceiling is a pretty big space to fill. Whether one of the mentioned subs can be used, depends on the required listening level. What kind of system you had before? Are you used to playing loud?
perisak, modified 10 Years ago.

Hello,

1) 7050B and 5050A have quite similar performance. The 7050B is bass reflex design with actual reflex port while the 5050A uses passive radiators for the same purpose. 7050B has XLR connectors while the 5050A has RCA. Obviously they look a little bit different, too.

2) 45 square meters with 3 meter ceiling is a pretty big space to fill. Whether one of the mentioned subs can be used, depends on the required listening level. What kind of system you had before? Are you used to playing loud?

1) ok thanks for the info.
2) I understand that its about how loud etc. I have just ordered for my office a pair of 8020 plus a 7050 sub, so I will try those at home as well, and test if the 7050 will be enough.

3) If I would like more bass, would one 7060 sub or two 7050 be the best solution to a pair of 8030?

3) If I would like more bass, would one 7060 sub or two 7050 be the best solution to a pair of 8030?

One 7060B or two 7050B have similar performance. If you need more, then two 7060B or one 7070A is the right way to go.
perisak, modified 10 Years ago.

Hi Iikka.
I have now bought a pair of 8030A and 2 subwoofers of the new 5051A.
Will use it in stereo.
Which will be the best way to connect them.
I have at the moment connect the left channel to first the 5051A and then up to the 8030.
Same on the right side.

Or shall both go throught Nr1 of 5051A and then out to each 8030A. and connect sub 5051A nr 2 as a slav to first sub?

thanks for an answer
Per

Hi,

You can connect it either way, both will work almost the same. It is a question between mono and stereo subwoofers. If you will connect one channel to each sub, you will get stereo subwoofers, if both channels to first one and then use another one as a slave, you will get two mono subwoofers. You should try if you hear any difference at all. Usually most material is mixed so that bass is mono so it shouldn't matter almost at all.