Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Setting up a pair of 6010A's and the 5040A

esaj, modified 11 Years ago.

Setting up a pair of 6010A's and the 5040A

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/26/09 Recent Posts
I've had the 6010A's for a while now and finally got around to getting the 5040A. I'd just like to get some input how to set them up correctly.

The room is rectancular and I have the tv setup on a TV-desk at the end. 6010A's are setup on the same table next to the tv right at the edge (they should be raised a bit so they're ear level but I'll get around to that at some point :)). Back wall is about 45cm distance from the speakers and there's over 50cm distance to the side walls. How should I set the Bass Tilt and Desktop control?

The 5040A is setup on the left side of the room, a bit to the front and side of the TV-desk. It's about 65cm from the back wall and about 25cm from the side wall. How should I setup the Roll off and phase?

I just go to say it's pretty amazing how big the 6010A's sound even though they're so small. And now with the subwoofer the low end has more power to it. Very nice :)
ilkka-rissanen, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Setting up a pair of 6010A's and the 5040A

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

The most accurate way of setting up a speaker system requires an acoustical measurement system i.e. a microphone, sound card and a suitable computer program. Then you can actually measure and see the frequency response of the system and setup the dips accordingly.

But if that is not available, the setup needs to be done by ear. I'll describe the process here:

1) Turn the subwoofer on its back so that the controls are accessible. Turn the subwoofer's level control all the way counter-clockwise. Play your favourite music through the system. The music should have reasonably wide frequency content i.e. bass, middle and treble.

2) Listen to the sound, and if the bass frequencies sound clearly louder compared to the mid and treble, engage the bass tilt dip(s) on the speakers. Try different settings (-2 dB, -4 dB and so on) until you have a balanced sounding system. The desktop control dip can also be engaged if only certain range of the bass frequencies seem too loud, for example male voices etc.

3) Continue playing music and start turning the subwoofer's level knob clockwise (it's much more easier if you have a friend who's doing the turning while you are listening at your chair/sofa) until you clearly hear that the bass frequencies are coming from the subwoofer. Now, back up the level until you can not easily hear that the bass is coming from the subwoofer any more, but still so the sub is adding a certain feeling of size and power to the system.

4) This part definitely requires a helping hand. Continue playing music and ask a friend to go through each phase setting combination (0,90,180,270 degrees) while carefully listening to the sound. If you can hear that one of the settings clearly produce the best sound (listen to the bass frequencies), choose that. If you can not hear any or only very little difference, choose 0 degrees.

5) If you feel that the very low frequencies are being emphasised too much, try engaging the bass roll-off dip(s) on the subwoofer. Start with -2 dB and go through all the settings until you get the result that pleases you the most. It is sometimes beneficial to also slightly rise the subwoofer's level control while engaging the bass roll-off dips.
esaj, modified 11 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/26/09 Recent Posts
Excellent info. I have a friend coming over this weekend so I'll be able to set them up as good I can without some additional hardware. I bet other folks will also find that list helpful. Thanks a lot.
arijalmari, modified 6 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 4/23/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

The most accurate way of setting up a speaker system requires an acoustical measurement system i.e. a microphone, sound card and a suitable computer program. Then you can actually measure and see the frequency response of the system and setup the dips accordingly.

"Knock knock... Is this thing still on?"

Would you recommend a good software and instructions for doing this?

Just got a 5040B to go with 6010A: loving the sound and this forum!
daiyama, modified 6 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 73 Join Date: 1/4/16 Recent Posts
Try http://www.roomeqwizard.com.
They also have a great forum if you need any help.