Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Upgrade my 8050A for Hi End system

pablo-h-, modified 5 Years ago.

Upgrade my 8050A for Hi End system

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/22/10 Recent Posts
Hi,
I´m new in this comunity. I´m a Hi End audio entuthiast that use Genelec 8050A with hi end components.
You can see the photo.
Now I´m thinking to move to three way powered monitors and I doubt between the 1037C or the new 8260A. (I will not use the DSP). Unfortunally I couldn´t compare them.
I want to know if both model represent an upgrade in the sound over the 8050A and if you could compare the 1037C vs the 8260A.
Thanks.
Pablo
ilkka-rissanen, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Upgrade my 8050A for Hi End system

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Pablo,

I would definitely recommend getting the new 8260A. That speaker has all the latest technology like MDC minimum diffraction coaxial, MDE minimum diffraction enclosure, 24 bit/192 kHz DSP, GLM/AutoCal etc. It almost makes the older 1037C look like a dinosaur when compared directly to it. :) The 1037C will get louder and it is a little bit more directive in the mid and top end (can be either a good or bad thing, depending on room and taste), but the 8260A will get the first price everywhere else.

Why you wouldn't want use the DSP?
pablo-h-, modified 11 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/22/10 Recent Posts
Thank you Ilkka for your replay. As you saw I use the monitors in my home living room.
I like to calibrate the monitors acording to my ears, the type of sound I like and the record I reproduce.
I usually change the 8050A controls acording to that.
I tried the 8250A and I prefered to buy the 8050A. Unfortunally there are no 8260A without DSP (8060A?)
ilkka-rissanen, modified 11 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

But having DSP in a speaker doesn't prevent you from using manual controls, quite contrary, it gives you much more control! Of course the AutoCal automatic calibration suggests one set of settings, but one can always manually override them if the user prefers different kind of sound. Having DSP in the speaker gives you more accurate and more versatile options to dial in the settings when compared to fully analogue DIP switch settings found in analogue speakers.

Also it is much more easier to switch in between different settings because you can do that via keyboard and mouse. You can save as many setup files on our computer as you like, and load and switch in between them in a blink of an eye.
spider, modified 11 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 1/25/10 Recent Posts
Sweet lookin'!

It looks like you've have thick audiophile cable attached to the XLR connectors. Nice looking stands.

I wish Genelec stands had a green light-up Genelec logo you could turn on at night. That's what I've been wishin' for! :)