Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Inside my broken 2029aL

asktoby, modified 12 Years ago.

Inside my broken 2029aL

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/25/09 Recent Posts
The left speaker from my set of 2029 monitors (the digital version of the 1029) stopped turning on last week.
Service said that, although there are internal fuses, it was most likely to be the transformer.
Repair was quoted at around £150, or £40ish to send me the replacement transformer.

Today I opened it up for the first time and took some photos - it's always interesting looking inside things like this. Thought I'd share and see if anyone had anything to add:

Used a T20 torx bit to take off the four screws at the rear.
A 5mm Alan key fits the other two screws, but they're just to hold the drivers in and are not structural per se.

The back pops off easily. Nice thin-bead gasket around the join.

Without the Allan bolts, the drivers fall away from the grilles.

There's one of the internal fuses.

Oh look!

Black! This is part of the problem! I know fuses don't usually blow without good reason, but I've ordered a replacement from ebay for a few quid in case the fuse failed. The worst that can happen is that it blows again.

Connector shot.

The big toroid. Not sure how to test if this is faulty or not. Can't see any burn marks.

The fuse that blew was F3 which, from the location, looks like it feeds the toroid transformer.

Toroid detail.

Rear of tweeter.

Tweeter. Looks like a bucking ferrite design.

Woofer. Was pretty dusty after 10 years so gave it a clean.

Rear of the woofer, where the Allan bolt holds it in place.

Driver looks like paper with some kind of doping on the front.

Hope someone finds this interesting!
iamdain, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Inside my broken 2029aL

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 1/2/11 Recent Posts
Hi Toby,
Thanks for posting these pics I have had the exact same issue with my ~6 year old 1029a 's. The right monitor stopped turning on one day and then a few weeks later the left one stopped working also.

I also removed the back cover and found the same fuses to be blown. I spoke to Sounddevices.com.au where I originally purchased the speakers and they said that it's very common for the toroidal transformers to blow in these units but once replaced the problem was not recurring.

I haven't had mine replaced yet so I have some rather expensive paperweights atm =P, just wondering did you ever try replacing the fuses and how it all worked out?

Regards,
Dain
srobak, modified 7 Years ago.

Re: Inside my broken 2029aL

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 5/20/15 Recent Posts
Raising from the dead - thanks for posting this, it helped me in diagnosing a tweeter problem on my left 2029. Appreciate that!
thenewmangroup, modified 2 Years ago.

RE: Inside my broken 2029aL

Youngling Posts: 0 Join Date: 8/31/20 Recent Posts

Very old thread, but I'm having issues with a muddy-sounding 2029aR. The left side seems fine, but the right seems muffled. Internal components seem clean. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these.

antong, modified 2 Years ago.

RE: Inside my broken 2029aL

Padawan Posts: 76 Join Date: 6/12/20 Recent Posts

Hello, Thenewmangroup!

I recommend you to contact local authorized technical service for repair. You can find your closest one by following this link: https://www.genelec.com/product-service

We don't have all possibly necessary spare parts for 2029AR in stock anymore. Unfortunately, we therefore can't guarantee successful repair.

Anton,
Factory service team