Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

1030a 7060b calibration

mfox-de, modified 12 Years ago.

1030a 7060b calibration

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/25/10 Recent Posts
I have a pair of 1030a and ordered a 7060b which I received yesterday.

Now, going through my first experimental steps to integrate the 7060b into my setup there popped up a few questions:

My 1030a's dip switches are set to the near field recommendations from the operating manual (treble: none, bass tilt: -4, bass roll-off: -4). Do I leave those settings to that or can switch them off, since the subwoofer has a hpf filter anyway?

Generally speaking, is it ok to place the subwoofer under a table (like the front table under my mixers) or is that not recommended at all?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: 1030a 7060b calibration

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

A successful integration of a subwoofer requires that the crossover region (around two octaves around the crossover frequency) is fairly flat. So you should first EQ the speakers flat with the EQ dip switches, add the subwoofer and then set the subwoofer's EQ dip switches and phase.

General near field recommendation for the dip switches is only a general advice and won't necessarily give the best result everywhere. So if you have a possibility to actually measure the frequency response of your system before and after the subwoofer, it will greatly help you with the set up process.
mfox-de, modified 12 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/25/10 Recent Posts
Hello Ilkka,

thanks for your reply. currently I have no frequency response measure device, only an spl meter, but thinking about getting one.

What about placing the subwoofer under the table, is that generally ok or should it be avoided? I'm very limited to move it around, so I I'm kind of stuck at that position.

Currently I have the subwoofer under the table, slighty off center to the right. I have done the phase adjustment method by ear and I have a little issue there. I tested two listening positions, one sitting kind of relaxed in my chair and the second one moving my head 30cm towards the table.

If I'm in the relaxed position, I have the best results with both phase switches to off. If I'm moving my head 30cm towards the table, I get the best results with the -90 switch on. I tested that with an spl. I always move my head within that range. Any advice on the -90 switch?
ilkka-rissanen, modified 12 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Under the table placement usually works without much problems. You might get a little bit more frequency response variations then when placed in free space, but usually nothing really bad.

A frequency response measurement showing both phase settings would benefit a lot, because then one could see the whole crossover region instead of just single frequency measured with an SPL meter. Usually the same phase setting should produce a good result in the whole room, not to mention within 30 cm distance. Can you draw (or describe) a picture of the setup?