Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

setting up 5040

dumbo, modified 12 Years ago.

setting up 5040

Padawan Posts: 78 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
It's so difficult to get at the switches and connectors on the 5040 I was wondering if one can set the phase while the speakers are in a stereo configuration? The quick setup guide calls for only using the center input and one speaker connected to the center output.

Also I guess there's no way to disable the sub if one wants only the main speakers sometimes.
dumbo, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: setting up 5040

Padawan Posts: 78 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
Ps I naturally meant to say:
Can the 5040 phase be set up using the 85 hz test tone on the Genelec site with the speakers set up in stereo configuration or ...must one only use the center channel?

What I meant was that wiring the the speakers is somewhat cumbersome in the tight space and having to plug in and unplug wires in the tight space is a bit of a pain (which I'd like to avoid if possible).
ilkka-rissanen, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: setting up 5040

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Sorry about the very late reply, but for some reason I hadn't noticed this post before. :|

It's recommended to setup the phase with only one speaker playing. This doesn't necessarily have to be center, it can also be left or right. If the room is acoustically bad and/or the speakers are positioned far away from each other, the left, center and right speakers might require slightly different phase settings. Naturally then you just have to compromise and pick the one that gives you the best overall sound. In any case the phase is rarely correct for all LCR speakers, but luckily small differences won't affect the end result too much.