Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Autocal question about filters.

dumbo, modified 12 Years ago.

Autocal question about filters.

Padawan Posts: 78 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
I posted this question earlier but didn't explain it properly so please bear with me. :oops: When filters are being generated in Autocal it appears that, at some frequencies, some gain is applied. With other room correction systems (TactAudio for example) this gain runs the risk of causing digital clipping of of fully modulated CDs (at that the frequencies where the gain has been applied). The solution to this is to attenuate the filter curves. I suspect this might be a problem with the 8240s because I'm getting the overload indicators flashing all the time and I it's hard to believe that so many recordings have be mastered with the peaks clipped (digitally). Is this whats going on and, if so, should I be attenuating the filters?
1038, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Autocal question about filters.

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
I have answered in your original post Dumbo, no gain is applied by Autocal.

If you click on "GLM System Setup" then"edit acoustical settings" you will find the definition of what autocal has done, you will see it is impossible to add gain.

Cheers

Steve
dumbo, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Autocal question about filters.

Padawan Posts: 78 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
Thanx, I also just realized that the filter displayed in the "edit acoustical settings window" clearly shows that no gain has been applied anywhere. I got thrown because, while the filter is being generated, the correction curve looks like it's applying gain which, in the end, it clearly isn't.