Message Boards

Emergency last minute advice...

rawkstar, modified 11 Years ago.

Emergency last minute advice...

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 4/26/10 Recent Posts
Good morning! I have just a few quick questions before I purchase my Genelec studio monitors. I’ll get to the point...

My goal is to have full frequency accurate studio monitor for mixing electronic music in a digital audio workspace. At the moment I am comparing and contrasting the 6010a&5040a vs 8020b&7050b combos.

Clarity. At the moment I am looking for clarity and am wondering if the 8020b combo is significantly more transparent than the 6010a combo – or mostly just louder? My studio space is very small and my gut tells me that the 7050b might be too bold… …also, when mixing I try not to listen any louder than 85db as it becomes fatiguing.

In your professional opinion do you feel that the 6010a combo may actually be a better match for me than the 8020b? I currently have the 8020b combo on hold at my local music dealer and have to make a decision quickly…

Lastly, are there any other immediate criteria that I am missing to make an informed decision? I have read the specs on your Genelec website quite carefully.

Thank you kindly for you time,

Geoff :D
ilkka-rissanen, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Emergency last minute advice...

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Geoff,

For sure 8020&7050 will give you better SQ, not just higher SPL. I would definitely go for that if budget allows. :) 7050 isn't too bold for the space you have because you can use the gain and room eq controls to calibrate it to your room. Also 8020&7050 have professional balanced XLR connectors instead of consumer unbalanced RCAs found on the 6010/5040.
rawkstar, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Emergency last minute advice...

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 4/26/10 Recent Posts
Update:I ended up going for the 8020b and 7050b combo - very happy. The genelecs performed light years ahead of all the monitors I listend too.

Thank you for the reply!!!

Geoff