Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

calibration 8050

carlitos, modified 12 Years ago.

calibration 8050

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 4/9/10 Recent Posts
Hello,I have a pair of 8050 and I would like to put the correct calibration of the speakers in my studio I mean the correct roll off,bass tilt.....
My studio have a kit of auralex on the wall,bass traps ...
The speakers are 1.96 ft (60 cm) from the corners and 0.65 ft (20 cm) from the wall.
My studio is 10.17 ft (3.10 m) long,9.18 ft (2.80 m) high,10.49 ft (3.20 m) wide.
I read the quick setup guide,and I have no idea if that calibration is with acoustic absorber panels or with a empty room.
Anyone can help me to put the correct filters??
Thank´s a lot.
ilkka-rissanen, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: calibration 8050

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Carlitos,

Our quick setup guide recommendations are quite generic because every room behaves differently, and therefore proper acoustical measurements should always be carried out to define the needed dip switch settings. Do you have a possibility to measure the frequency response of your system?

Based on your room dimensions, you should have a quite strong room mode at around 55 Hz because the length and the width of the room are so close to each other. What kind of Auralex modules (which and how many) you have in your studio?

These are the basic settings I would start with: -4 dB bass tilt, -4 dB bass roll-off. If acoustical measurements are not possible, you should compare your system to a known reference (high quality headphones are good). Try different settings and listen when the system sounds similar to the reference.

Hello

I don´t have the possibility to measure the frequency response of my system,I have only a sound level meter.
I have in my room 12 (4" studioform wedges) http://www.masacoustics.com/imatges/Aur ... /SFW_4.jpg,
14 (bass traps DST-LENRD put in ATOM-12 System) http://www.masacoustics.com/imatges/Aur ... /DSTLN.jpg
,and 1(T'Fusor Sound Diffusors) http://www.masacoustics.com/imatges/Aur ... sor/TF.jpg
My speaker have a basic setting right now -4 dB bass tilt, -4 dB bass roll-off,comparing with my headphones (Sennheiser HD 25-13) the headphones gives more body I mean low frecuencies.

Thank´s a lot
ilkka-rissanen, modified 12 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
If you can't measure the frequency response of your system, then you just have to play with different settings and see what combination of bass tilt and roll off give you the most balanced sound. If it now sounds too light, try -2 dB tilt and -2 dB roll off, and so on.

If the SPL meter is a high quality device, you could use it to plot the frequency response of your system. Just place it to your listening position (use flat weighting if available, if not, C) and play sine waves through each speaker (separately). Use Excel or similar to plot the results. Start with all dips set to off.

It´s much better right now with -2 roll and tilt,I can´t do that with my SPL but I will do it soon with another spl.

Thank you very much