Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Unbalanced inputs / balanced outputs of subs?

nik2010, modified 12 Years ago.

Unbalanced inputs / balanced outputs of subs?

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 12/18/09 Recent Posts
I have been using 8040s with an unbalanced source for a while with nice results. If I introduce a 7060 into the mix, I assume (from the 7060 owners manual on this website) that I can continue to use an unbalanced source. My question is: will the 7060 then convert the unbalanced input into a true balanced output for the cables running from the sub to the 8040s? In other words, if I use balanced cables from the 7060 to the 8040s, will that be a true balanced line even if the input into the 7060 is unbalanced?

Second (incidental) question: I see from the FAQs on this site how Genelec recommends wiring an unbalanced RCA to an XLR, depending on whether using single or two-core + screen cable. Is there any sonic difference between the two? Is it better to use single core? (For example, will there then be no current flowing through the length of the cable from pin 3, which with two-core you recommend "shorting" only at the RCA end?)

Many thanks in advance.

Nik
christophe-anet, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Unbalanced inputs / balanced outputs of subs?

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Thanks for your post and for purchasing our products. Concerning the use of an additional 7060 subwoofer in your system, you can indeed continue to use unbalanced connections for the subwoofer' inputs. The 7060 features true balanced output connections - yes, correct.

Regarding the difference between 1- and 2 core cables, as the FAQ states at the beginning: "the 2-core method is preferred over the 1-core method as it gives increased noise immunity and less signal distortion."

Now, the audio signal quality is basically related to the cable quality and ability to transfer the audio signal with minimum sound degradation. It is not related to the 1- or 2- core cable type.

Best regards,
nik2010, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Unbalanced inputs / balanced outputs of subs?

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 12/18/09 Recent Posts
Christophe,

Many thanks for your reply and apologies for not reading Genelec's very useful FAQs more closely. It's very helpful to know that so long as I keep my unbalanced source close to the sub, then I don't need to worry so much about cable length from sub to monitors since the cable will be balanced.

Kind regards

Nik