Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

I don't understand tech tip #11

dumbo, modified 12 Years ago.

I don't understand tech tip #11

Padawan Posts: 78 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
You claim that there is no degradation to sound quality using the GLM volume control but then say that in order to ensure no degradation one should follow the following procedure:

(1) There is no quality compromise in using GLM volume control. To set the volume very accurately it is possible to write explicitly the volume value in the volume fader (for example -10.0 dB). This is a very accurate way of operating and ensures you will not loose any dyanmic range.

I don't understand:
a) the procedure (The GLM package for my 8240s hasn't arrived yet so I can't experiment)
b) the need for the procedure
andreas, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: I don't understand tech tip #11

Padawan Posts: 61 Join Date: 4/8/09 Recent Posts
That tip, I guess, originated from my question to Christophe.

Using the 8240s as well, but in my case in a home theater environment via digital out of a surround processor can yield pressure levels to studio standards, not to home cinema standards (to each his own). Using a -30dbfs noise signal yielded not 75db at the listening space, but more than it should be for home cinema. So I asked how to lower each speaker in stand alone mode, as with GLM used to calibrate each speaker the analogue controls on the back will not work to lower volume anymore. The digital DSP takes over, and as I do not use the GLM tool "online" all the time to control volume as studio professionals should and do, I needed advice. I wanted to keep my source at maximum quality.

I can now lower each speaker in stand alone mode via settings in the GLM software to 75db each (small window for each speaker in "db") and was reasured no loss in quality, at least not on the side of the 8240s. As my surround processor will control the main volume in the digital domain for all speakers and output 6 channel SP-Dif for 2C PCM, 5.1 AC-3 and DTS, it can well mean I have some loss in dynamic range on the side of the surround controller. But that's life ;)
dumbo, modified 12 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 78 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
Thanx Andreas,
I get it now. You essentially needed a level offset.
andreas, modified 12 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 61 Join Date: 4/8/09 Recent Posts
Why didn't I put it in two words...level offset....exactly ;)