Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

What type to use as surround system together with 1032s?

realmusic, modified 12 Years ago.

What type to use as surround system together with 1032s?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/28/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

I'm about to buy a surround system for the studio. Already there are 2 1032s (as main) and two ns10s.

Studio size is 4,5m x 5,30m x 2,5 height (sloping ceiling).
My guess is the 8020 surround set is too small, compared with my 1032s (they rock! in terms of spectral and detail, as well as loudness).
So I guess the better solution for (full range) front and rear monitors would be 8030s and suitable sub.

My questions:
1: Can I combine the 1032s with 3x 8030s and a 7060 sub? (would there be a great spectral difference?)
2: Or is it better to buy 5 x 8030s and a 7060 sub?
3: Would the 8020 surround set suffice?

Would you be so kind to advise?
christophe-anet, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: What type to use as surround system together with 1032s?

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Thanks for your post and for purchasing our products. If you consult our on-line speaker selection guide, a basic recommendation for a 5.1 system based on 1032A's is featured there under: http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/ ... selection/

Two important points to remember are: a) all standards and recommendations for 5.1 audio reproduction mention that the front LCR array should have the same speaker type to achieve consistent sound stage imaging, and b) it is advisable to only use one model type smaller for the rear speakers, basically to also achieve proper font-back coherence and sound stage imaging.

Now, onto your questions:
1. This setup is not recommended. The 7060B is highly under-powered to handle the LFE channel and all the LF energy of the 5 main channels with enough headroom. Also the LCR array is not consistent, it should be 3x 1032A in this case.

2. This setup example is indeed recommended to achieve proper system balance. 5x 8030A's and a 7060B, or as you mention in your point 3; 3x 8030A's, 2x 8020B and a 7060B.

Hope this is helpful in finding the right system for your application.
Best regards,
realmusic, modified 12 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/28/09 Recent Posts
My third point was actually slightly different:

Would a complete 8020 set (5 x 8020 that is) with a 7050 sub, be suffice? My guess is that the SPL would be to low....
christophe-anet, modified 12 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Sorry I missunderstood your point 3 - got it now. The critical parameter to answer your point 3 (5.1 system based on 8020 + 7050) is the listening distance you have and the SPL requirement at mix position?

Our speaker selection guide provides guidelines on these parameters. If your 5.1 set is placed at a closer listening distance than your 1032A, then it might be Ok to go with it.

Let me know if you need further help and support.
Happy New Year!

Best regards