Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Home theater upgrade

gue-, modified 12 Years ago.

Home theater upgrade

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Currently I own a pair of 8040A for stereo use, which i am very pleased with.

I want to upgrade to a 5.1 system and do not really know which models would be the best match:
A) 3*8050 front, 2*8040 back
B) 5*8040
C) 3*8040 front, 2*8030 back
D) 3*8040 front, 2*8020 back
E) 2*8040 front, 8030 center, 2*8030 back
F) 2*8050 front, 8040 center, 2*8040 back

room size is
4,6m*5,3m*3,1m=75,6m^2

distance to front speaker is 2,0m.
possible distance to back speaker can be 1,5m-2m

I prefer to listen to music and cinema at medium to low volumes (the 8040
currently running without sub are capable of much louder volumes than needed
- I never managed to make the red overload LED light).
However I like 8050 in direct shootout even at low volumes a bit more, possibly because
of lower frequency extension - or because of higher directivity - I dont know.

usage: 50% stereo, 50% surround

help ist very much appreciated,
keep up the good work,
gue
christophe-anet, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Home theater upgrade

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Thanks for your post and purchase of Genelec loudspeakers. First, the center speaker should be of the same type as the L and R ones to keep a coherent sound stage image and tonal characteristics (all professional standards and recommendations for 5.1 audio reproduction mention that issue). So, in your wide choice of suggested setups, we are now down to; A to D.

Then, it is advisable to select only one model down for the rears for pretty much the same reasons as mention above for the front array. Now we have: A, B, C choices.

The final choice is then really up to you. If you favor the 8050A in the front, then A is perfect.
B is just a bit more expensive than C, and according to your listening criteria (50% stereo, 50% surround), I would recommend C.

Now, ... between A and C? The overall budget is an issue and your personal taste as well. Hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Hi Christophe,

thank you very much for your Support, so its clear D-F is not an option.
I will keep you informed what system out of A to C I decided for at last!

One last question: Do you recommend 7060A or 7070A subwoofer for A to C?
Perhaps 7060 is enough for C but too small for A and B.
The speaker system selection quide even suggests 7071A for the 8050A (but
I think this is only to match the high level possible with the 8050A).
And if choosing A do I need a subwoofer at all or will it suffice to do bass management
in a way to distribute the LFE channel to the 8050A in the front?

gue.
christophe-anet, modified 12 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

First, as your application is Home Theater, I would recommend that you look into our HT range of products and this especially for the subwoofer choice. http://www.genelec-ht.com/learning-cent ... ion-guide/

All our professional 7000 Series subwoofers have built-in bass management systems with features needed in professional audio production environments. This is not your application and hence you will pay for features that you basically do not need.

The issue of bass management is almost always handled by the Preamplifier/decoder in a Home Theater audio system. Now, the need for a suwboofer surely exists in a Home Theater environment. The LFE channel usually carries a lot of very low frequency information and all that energy needs to be properly reproduced.

Now, in our HT range of products you will find various subs that will complement perfectly your 8050A or 8040A.
The 8050A equivalent is the HT208B and the 8040A equivalent is the HT206B.

So, the HTS3B (for an 8040A based system) or the HTS4B (for an 8050A based system) would be the right choices. These subs have a single audio input as bass management is done in the Preamplifier/decoder. http://www.genelec-ht.com/products/subwoofers/

Hope this is helpful.
Best regards,

Thanks again.
Gue.
acejohnlee, modified 12 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 8/2/10 Recent Posts
The customer care support is just good for you. Anyway, that is his job. What I did when I had the same issue as yours was I used HTS4B for 8050A based system. In this home theater setup, you can actually enjoy and notice the perfect bass of the sound.