Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

What Should I Listen for When Purchasing Monitors?

wots, modified 12 Years ago.

What Should I Listen for When Purchasing Monitors?

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 12/20/09 Recent Posts
I imagine the sound quality difference between high-quality studio monitors to be subtle. What aspects of the sound should I pay attention to when auditioning a studio monitor?

The monitors will be mainly used for domestic playback of wide dynamic-range classical music recordings.
cocreatr, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: What Should I Listen for When Purchasing Monitors?

Youngling Posts: 6 Join Date: 12/16/09 Recent Posts
Welcome to the club, wots. 22 years ago I was shopping for my first decent CD deck, within a $1000 budget. Imagining differences to be subtle - after all it was now a digital repeatable sound source - yet I followed the enthusiast mags advice.

Took a few CDs with critical tracks and my headphones to the shop. Asked if it was OK to try out and then plugged and played my tracks through the rack. Amazed, what large differences in clarity my ears noticed, even with carefully trying to listen at same volume. Out of a dozen CD decks,eight fell by the wayside immediately because they could not resolve the soft cymbals on Tina Turner's "Break Every Rule" track 10 "Paradise is Here". Among those I liked were Sony and a Teac deck, with the Teac serving a trace clearer detail. So that became my reference for a few years.

Point of the story, much more so for speakers: take some critical music and listen. I had the good fortune of a shop letting me compare studio monitors with my own CDs. Percussion showed the largest differences to my ears. Found the Genelec 8030 most neutral and detailed at the time, few years ago. Recently went to said shop for a quick listen and and ordered 8020B for home theater. Making ears smile (TM).