Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

tuning 8040as for location recording

jlowe, modified 12 Years ago.

tuning 8040as for location recording

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/27/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Most of my recording is done one location in churches and the monitoring rooms vary greatly in acoustic qualities. My 8040as generally do a good job but I am never convinced that I have them set up optimallly - especially as I have very little time to set up the whole rig each time.

I'd welcome any tips for setting up the 8040as quicly and optimally. I like the concept of using a reference mic and analyser. The DSP rage sound great but possibly overkill for my situation.

Any tips /suggestions. Is a reference mic an analyser a good thing to do or should I just stick with my ears???

Thanks in advance.
J
christophe-anet, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: tuning 8040as for location recording

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Thanks for your post. The standard guidelines concerning loudspeaker placement that we provide with each product are indeed the Operating manual and the Quick Setup Guide. To have a more precise indication of the in-situ response of the loudspeaker, it is highly advisable to perform a measurement to be able to choose the right set of DIP switch settings that need to be used.

Concerning the DSP range, we have develop these products precisely with your type of application in mind. Short setup time, need for consistent audio reproduction, varying room environments, untreated room acoustic, fast on-site system calibration need, etc.

The 8240A features the same drivers, amplifier powers, etc than the 8040A, but includes full DSP and AutoCal / GLM functionality. In your application case, you would just need to setup the Genelec 8200 calibration microphone, connect the loudspeakers and the GLM network, push the AutoCal button and.... in 1 minute you have a perfectly calibrated system! And this, in each location, as often as you want with the same reproduction accuracy. If you need to move your setup in the same room for whatever reasons, you can run AutoCal again and have new filter parameters set for your loudspeakers instantly.

We definitely feel that our range of DSP systems are perfectly suited for location recording such as you describe, bringing you accuracy, consistency everywhere you go.

Best regards,
jlowe, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: tuning 8040as for location recording

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/27/09 Recent Posts
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I already have the 8040as and unfortunately I'm not not able to purchase the dsp rage at the moment. So it looks like the solution for the current time is to purchase a reference mic and sound analyser software. Are there any genelec solutions I should consider or do you have any tips. Perahaps I should start out with a reference mic and freeware/shareware analyser software and see how things go from there.

J