Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

1030 / 7060 configuration..

kitt, modified 13 Years ago.

1030 / 7060 configuration..

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 7/28/09 Recent Posts
I have a pair of 1030a's and a 7060 in a room that is 3.4m x 4m.

As you can see I have the 7060 situated under my desk in front of a iron fireplace and my 1030's situated on the mantle.

I am just wondering by looking at these photos is the 7060 overkill for this room and are the speakers in the correct position?

Thanks.
christophe-anet, modified 13 Years ago.

Re: 1030 / 7060 configuration..

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Thanks for your post and for the photos. Some comments and suggestions on your room setup:

1. Concerning the 1030A, the placement goal is that they should be placed horizontally at 60 degree (stereo base width) in reference to the listening position. Vertically, the should be positioned so that the acoustic axis (see the 1030A Operating Manual) focuses to your ears. Now, if the fireplace mantle is sturdy you could leave them there if the above placement parameters are fullfilled. If not, then I suggest that you place the 1030A's on separate stands (either floor stand or table stand) so that the speaker placement is optimal.

The next stage is to make sure the 1030A are properly calibrated and to do so you can follow the simple guidelines featured in our 1030A Quick Setup Guide.

http://www.genelec.com/products/previous-models/1030a/

2. Regarding the 7060, this is the right model to complement a pair of 1030A (nowadays the 8040A replacement).

http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/ ... selection/

The placement in front of the cavity of the fireplace might not be the best one. I would suggest that you try to move the sub slightly left or right, basically to move it away from the cavity area. You will have a much better LF loading in doing so without any dips in the response due to the LF cancellation created by this void behind the sub.

The final stage is once again to calibrate the sub properly (level, response and phase) so that you have a balanced response between main speakers and sub.

http://www.genelec.com/products/previous-models/7060a/

Hope this is helpful, and let us know your findings.

Best regards,
kitt, modified 13 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 7/28/09 Recent Posts
Thanks Christophe,

I have moved the sub slightly to the left but I am unable to move it more than 15 cm. Would it be better for me to fill the fireplace cavity with some material?

I have attempted the quick setup instructions from the 7060 setup guide, I find it difficult to work out which test tone is quieter from the listening position. I also don't understand what the "setting the LFE channel reproduction bandwidth" section is for?

I have changed the input sensitivity to -3 on the 7060, should the 1030's also have -3 for input sensitivity?

Cheers,

Kit.
christophe-anet, modified 13 Years ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 188 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

- If you could fill the fireplace cavity with some absorbing materials (rockwool or similar) and place a heavy wooden board (thick MDF)in front, it could help for sure avoiding LF cancellation created by that void.

- To calibrate the 7060 with the help of the on-board test tone, you need to have the help of a second person. Practically you would sit at mix position and the other person would flick the various 7060 Phase DIP switches until you spot the lowest level tone. Then, invert that setting by 180 degree and you are there!

- The LFE channel setting and reproduction adjustment has to be done if you have an LFE channel. If you run a 5.1 system, the .1 channel is the low frequency effect channel. In that case, various settings need to be adjusted to ensure you monitor that LFE channel properly. In your case I understand you are using a stereo system. So, that setting is not applicable in your situation.

- The input sensitivity setting is there to allow you to set the relative level of each 1030A and 7060A. The aim is to have a balanced system in terms of level between main speakers and subwoofer. The exact setting depends on many parameters such as listening distance, room acoustics, radiation loading of each speaker, etc. You need to either measure your system or listen carefully with reference music material that your sub is well adjusted (in terms of level) so that you have a smooth LF frequency extension of the main speakers.

Best regards,