Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Bass management non-Genelec subwoofer

hako, modified 5 Years ago.

Bass management non-Genelec subwoofer

Youngling Posts: 16 Join Date: 8/5/14 Recent Posts

Ei voi olla todellista. En pääse asettamaan GLM 2 softassa jakotaajutta Genelec 8320 kaiuttimille, kun subbari ei ole Genelecin. Ei kai tämä näin voi mennä?

Miten jakotaajuuden saa asetettua?

dp8888dp, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Bass management non-Genelec subwoofer

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 7/30/17 Recent Posts

First, the post from hako translates to english as follows (from google translate):

"It can not be real. I can not set the Genelec 8320 loudspeaker in GLM 2 Soft when the subwoofer is not Genelec. Is not that how this can be done? How can I set the frequency?"

I have the same question. I am considering purchasing the 8320A monitors.  I am excited about the improvements that GLM and SAM can provide. However, I have a non Genelec sub, the KRK10s. Since the 8320A has only analog inputs, there should be no problem running them through my KRK10s sub. But, how does the GLM software deal with a non-Genelec sub?

Thanks.

I should have written my message in English as I had the title in English too.

One  cannot use GLM to manage a non-Genelec subwoofer, but I expected that I still could easily set the crossover frequency for the 8320s in GLM software but the bass management does not seem to be available when there is no SW defined in the GLM. I ended up adjusting the acoustics for all devices (i.e. both 8320s) and defined a high pass shelf filter at 85 hz in GLM. For my subwoofer I set the same crossover frequency using the subs own interface.

dp8888dp, modified 5 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 7/30/17 Recent Posts

Thanks for the reply Hako.

You said:

"I ended up adjusting the acoustics for all devices (i.e. both 8320s) and defined a high pass shelf filter at 85 hz in GLM. For my subwoofer I set the same crossover frequency using the subs own interface."

This makes sense. How are the results? Do you feel like you have good interaction between the non-genelec sub and the 8320s? Do you have balanced sound within the crossover range?

I found this related post from 2009. This was found searching "non-genelec subwoofer" in google public search - it is not find-able via the Genelec forum search function. 

https://www.community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/932820

Of course the Genelec rep recommens the Genelec sub.  I would love one! - but will need to wait a bit for that.

bobo larue:

Thanks for the reply Hako.

You said:

"I ended up adjusting the acoustics for all devices (i.e. both 8320s) and defined a high pass shelf filter at 85 hz in GLM. For my subwoofer I set the same crossover frequency using the subs own interface."

This makes sense. How are the results? Do you feel like you have good interaction between the non-genelec sub and the 8320s? Do you have balanced sound within the crossover range?

I found this related post from 2009. This was found searching "non-genelec subwoofer" in google public search - it is not find-able via the Genelec forum search function. 

https://www.community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/932820

Of course the Genelec rep recommens the Genelec sub.  I would love one! - but will need to wait a bit for that.

I am happy about the end result even though adjusting the phase did not work quite the way I thought it would (I could not get it adjusted using metering but adjusted the phase by the ear instead). The GLM adjustment made quite a difference on the 8320s because our living room is pretty far from ideal.

I still think GLM should offer the bass management crossover frequency setting when there is a non-Genelec speaker in the system.