Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8040B No wall behind

peters, modified 5 Years ago.

8040B No wall behind

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 7/29/17 Recent Posts
HI there,

I'm setting up my studio and I have the option of removing this big glass and wood door from behing my speakers. Would this be a problem since Genelec advises that speakers shouldn't be more than 60 cm away from the back wall? I mean you can get a better absorber than this, sound would bounce of the back wall and just leave the room and not come back.

Thanks
peters, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: 8040B No wall behind

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 7/29/17 Recent Posts

HI there,

I'm setting up my studio and I have the option of removing this big glass and wood door from behing my speakers. Would this be a problem since Genelec advises that speakers shouldn't be more than 60 cm away from the back wall? I mean you can get a better absorber than this, sound would bounce of the back wall and just leave the room and not come back.

Thanks

Any yodas around?

markus-kahelin, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: 8040B No wall behind

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts

Hi!

The advice of having the speakers close to the wall behind has two main benefits. First, you get a boost at the low end of the spectrum by doing that, and can very easily then adjust your low frequncy level to the desired with the Room Response Controls. Another thing is, that if the wall behind is further away, distances between 60cm - 1,5m, you get a fairly strong cancellation to your output on a fixed frequency, that is caused by the reflection from the wall behing the speakers.

In your case, I would also think for the overall symmtery, between left and right speaker, if this is a stereo pair. It is always a good idea to offer as similar and symmetrical position to your left and right speaker, as possible. Having the speaker in open space is not a bad idea as such, it can result with a very smooth and neutral frequency output.

Best Regards, Markus

Genelec Support Team