Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

M040 questions

ianm, modified 5 Years ago.

M040 questions

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 9/14/17 Recent Posts

Hello,

I just got myself a new pair of M040's, which are rather fantastic.

I have a couple of questions:

One speaker will be in a corner, the other close to the wall, both on a tabletop. So your recommened settings would imply that one bass level switch should be set for more attenutation than the other. Would that work in this case, or should they both be set at the same level?

Also the other switch, tone eq offers bass or tabletop settings, but one speaker is both in a corner and on a tabletop - so whiich to set it to?

I assume I will benefit from some isolation under the speakers. Your isopads are very hard to find, maybe you don't make them any more? So my question is do other makes of foam, eg Auralex work well, or do they compromise the downward ports? Does it need to be a hard surface underneath?

Thankyou vey much

markus-kahelin, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: M040 questions

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts

HI!

Tone controls need to be set based on the position of the speaker, so left and right can have different setting on the Bass level, -2dB close to a wall and -4dB in a corner. If both speakers are on a table, I would suggest that ypu use the EQ in the Tabletop position for both speakers.

Isolation under the speaker is not so critical, if you can position them so that the speaker is pointing towards you to the listening position. We do suggest that the surface under the speaker is solid, not foam to enable the ports to operate normally.

Best Regards, Markus 

Genelec Support Team