Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8040 + turntable: preamp needed?

skrabou, modified 5 Years ago.

Genelec 8040 + turntable: preamp needed?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/29/17 Recent Posts

Hello! :-),


I had the chance to listen to the Genelec 8040 and I was amazed by their sound!

(please note that I'm completely new into the world of active speakers and, further, into the world of the sound in general)

So I plan to buy a pair of these 8040 and I would like to be able to use them with a) a turntable & b) some digital sources like my computer or iphone/ipad.

I guess I need a device between the speakers and the sources. A preamp with phono input I guess... Or maybe a mixer with phono input?

Since the Genelec needs to be connected via balanced xlr cable, I suppose that this device needs to have balanced xlr output? Or may I use simple rca output with cable rca to xlr?

I hope my message and my questions are not too confused. I'm totally new to all of this...

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,







elsapo2001, modified 5 Years ago.

RE: Genelec 8040 + turntable: preamp needed?

Youngling Posts: 19 Join Date: 10/3/17 Recent Posts
You can just use RCA to XLR. I have a pair of 8010s as my PC office speakers and work great. They just need XLR to RCA and hook that to any pre amp that offers phono/cd/etc.. source switching and your good to go.