Message Boards

Mounting 8330 on a VESA monitor stand?

bwv656, modified 2 Years ago.

Mounting 8330 on a VESA monitor stand?

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 9/9/17 Recent Posts

I recently got a pair of 8330s + GLM. Is it a bad idea to mount these on VESA monitor stands like below. 

These monitor stands can take up to 40lb each. So it is definitely strong enough to hold 8330. But how would it affect the sound of 8330? Since I can't decouple 8330 from the desk would it make the sound worse compared to just placing them on the desk with the isopod?

My main reason for doing this is to bring the monitor to my ear level and also free up my desk space. I can't use floor stands because I am using height adjustable standing desk. 

Any info or suggestion would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you so much in advance.

markus-kahelin, modified 2 Years ago.

RE: Mounting 8330 on a VESA monitor stand?

Jedi Knight Posts: 109 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts

Hi!

It is always a good idea to mount your Genelec monitors on the ear level. This improves the overall performance, since you get more direct sound and reduce the reflections caused by the table surface. Mechanical decoupling is usually not needed if you have a good solid stand. 

Biggest reson for the Iso-Pod is to enable the speakers to be turned to point to the listening position and ear height. This can be easily acchieved also with a stand.

Best Regards, Markus

Genelec Support Team

bwv656, modified 2 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 8 Join Date: 9/9/17 Recent Posts

Thank you so much for the very helpful answer. 

Ordering this VESA adapters right now.

talex, modified 2 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 41 Join Date: 8/27/15 Recent Posts

Hi,

Can you share your experience with using this type of mounting?

What kind of monitor arm are you using and how is it working out?

Best regards.

talex, modified 2 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 41 Join Date: 8/27/15 Recent Posts

Hi,

For whoever may be interested in this setup, worked quite well for me using the Genelec VESA adaptors and a Duronic 451x3 mount that i got from amazon (https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM451X3-Solid-Single-LCD-LED-Desk-Mount-Arm-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Tilt-and-Swivel-%28Tilt-%252d90%C2%B0%7B47%7D%252b45%C2%B0%7CSwivel-180%C2%B0%7CRotate-360%C2%B0%29-%252b-2-Years-Warranty.html )

My room setup is far from ideal (in the progress of moving) but i like the capability to get the Genelecs off the table and free up desk space.

Best regards,

Alex.

svenz, modified 6 Months ago.

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 11/23/19 Recent Posts

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. But I was considering using https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_desktop_monitor_mount_dm1.htm with 1/4 to 3/8 adaptors and directly mounting my 8330s. How are you liking the vesa mounts? My concern w/ vesa arms is they are not usually that stiff, so would suffer vibrations.