Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

M040 Hum

millford, modified 4 Years ago.

M040 Hum

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/19/17 Recent Posts
Hi

I bought a set of M040 monitors, from Thomann in Germany, because they were sold at a good price. I’ve just recently started setting up my home studio. Been traveling a lot with work, the past year, so it’s just now that I have the time to finally make some music. The problem that I have is that there is a hum, coming from one of the monitors. It’s the kind of electric hum, you’ll hear from some, perhaps faulty, power supplies. It’s pretty low frequency, so I'm not talking about high frequency hiss. The source of the hum is the on the back of the monitor. I’ve tried switching power, and audio cables with the other monitor, but the problem persists. I’ve also tried changing location, different power outlets, and settings on the back. No change. Now, Im sure something is wrong because it’s a relatively loud hum. In a quiet room, I can hear it from 3 meters away. Also, the other monitors sounds fine, and there is no hum coming from the back. 

I’m writing here, just to check if there is something I can do before I return the monitor, and also to ask if I should contact the retailer, or Genelec, with warranty matters?

Thank you very much for your help.

Mattias
jani-oksanen, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: M040 Hum

Jedi Master Posts: 449 Join Date: 3/30/17 Recent Posts

Hi Mattias,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. It seems like you have tried all the tricks, so it is needed to have your monitor serviced. Please contact the retailer to proceed with the repair.

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Factory Service Team

millford, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: M040 Hum

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 3/19/17 Recent Posts

Thank you for the reply, Jani. I will contact Thomann, regarding repair.