Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8330: absolute phase

uyen, modified 4 Years ago.

Genelec 8330: absolute phase

Youngling Posts: 15 Join Date: 1/13/17 Recent Posts

Hello,

I use 8330+7350 as digital stereo system for recordinds/mix tasks and as 2.1 analog channels of the 7.1 hometheater sytem.

My 8330+7350 system is auto calibrated and phase aligned for digital and analog uses.

Recently, I changed my HT amplifier for a Denon model with Audissey Room eqalization (eq). The genelec 2.1 system is connected to the multi channel pre outs (Front L & R ad SW outs) using unbalanced to balanced cables (Genelec wiring conventions).

If I do a Room eq with Audissey protocol, Audissey detects a phase problem (opposite ?) for the two 8330 (in respect with the other loudspeakers). I think Audissey is able to detect absolute phase because if I intervert the polarities of the other loudspeakers, Audissey detects that all loudspeakers have faulty phases.

Could it be a consequence of the GLM autocalibration or phase alignement done for analog use, an acoustic room phase effect or an Genelec faulty phase (for a positive alternance of a sinusoidal signal, the cone of the loudspeaker goes inside the charge) ?

Many thanks,

jani-oksanen, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: Genelec 8330: absolute phase

Jedi Master Posts: 449 Join Date: 3/30/17 Recent Posts

Hello,

I don't recommend to use multiple room eq in same same time, as the result will be unknown. With GLM calibrations you can be sure the sounds is calibrated the way you want. And if you are not happy with the auto calibration result, you can always adjust the calibration manually from the GLM.

However if you still would like to use Denon calibration, I would recommend to contact them directly for support.

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Factory Service Team

uyen, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: Genelec 8330: absolute phase

Youngling Posts: 15 Join Date: 1/13/17 Recent Posts

Thanks for your answer.

I am totally satisfied with the genelec autocal. It was the reason why I consider that the 2.1 system I had to insert to provide the 7.1 system should be the Genelec speakers and subwoofer auto calibrated  instead off these speakers non auto calibrated.

If I replace the 8330 by passive loudspeakers amplified by the HT amplifier, the phase of the whole system is not faulty.

The auto calibrated 8330 monitors used instead of passive speakers leads to the phase issue.

For now, I do not use Denon Audissey calibration.

I am going to use the 8830 monitors without autocalibration to see if the phase issue is the consequence of the digital filtering applied to the 8330 monitors or if the phase issue already exists without GLM autocalibration.